Tuesday, March 5, 2019

The Tale of the Wayward Tangent

The Little Red Coop. 8x8 oil on a archival panel



We used to raise chickens and sheep on the six acres we once owned in Northern Door County. Some folks buy a car as their mid-life crisis. I built a coop.
This little painting is my nod to that past adventure. When we got our flock of twelve chickens, they came in the mail. I remember picking up a box at the post office that was peeping, much to the surprise of the postal worker behind the counter! Our neighbors were enlisted to help name the little fuzz balls and we were then immersed in the trials and tribulations of chicken keeping. We have no regrets it was a great learning experience.
A few days ago, I ran across a photo of a small home-made coop and hens free ranging which prompted this rough and ready homage to a coop.
I posted the painting on social media and a friend pointed out that the pine tree appeared to be growing out of the roof! It was actually a misbegotten pipe coming out of the roof which lined up directly with the tree...a tangent was formed.
I fixed it and was reminded how in the heat of the painting moment stuff happens. Unanticipated surprises can be wonderful or annoying. My note to self, let the Daily paintings “cool off “ at least a day or two before sending them out there. I’ve never been shy about sharing a mistake. In fact, in almost every workshop I’ve taught I let my students see me sweat out a problem as a painting is resolved. Over the years I’ve seen students almost paralyzed by the fear of imperfection. In creating a painting there are no mistakes, only opportunities to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment