Tuesday, March 12, 2019

The Purves

The Purves Fireboat  12x12 oil on archival panel


Maritime, Boats, lake shore, impressionist

The old fishing and working boats along Lake Michigan never fail to inspire me with their unique histories and personalities. A trip to the Maritime Museum in  Sturgeon Bay was enhanced by the old fire boat anchored nearby. I happened upon it on on stormy day, characteristic of the moods of Lake Michigan in November.
I was intrigued by the abstract shapes that the wheel house and massive bow presented against a stormy evening sky. The light in the boat seemed to be the only warmth to be found. I enjoyed placing the suggestion of figures working on  the boat within the lit spaces.
I would characterize this painted as a portrait of both the boat and the folks whose lives have been connected to it. It is my desire to tell a story when I paint along the lakeshore. This old boat is an old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment