Friday, March 29, 2019

Sante Fe Suns

Sante Fe Suns, 8x8 acrylic on a cradled archival panel


Sunflowers, Southwest, landscape, flowers , historic, adobe

The grasses here are brown and our trees are bare with the slightest touch of red ( predicting the budding of springtime).  Often  the sky is the peculiar color of a March river - gray. So, this is the time of year when I get hungry for color, particularly the warm notes of summer.
Yesterday I picked over some of the photographs I keep in a shoe box. They are a motley group. I’ve used them for many workshops that are waylaid to the art studio when the weather does not cooperate during a plein air workshop. The photos aren’t particularly stunning either. But they do each hold a memory of a place or time that is etched in my mind.
This painting is a portrait of a tangled plot of sunflowers and hollyhocks that I photographed on a trip to Sante Fe. It was a behind the scene kind of spot away from the tourist traps and the overly “done’ areas along Canyon Road.  My recollection is of a brilliant day,  a warm patch of  sunshine and of a spectacular meal at a towny diner. All of this was triggered by a snap shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment