Thursday, March 28, 2019

Egg Cetera!

Egg Cetera! 8x8 acrylic on an archival panel


Eggs, still life Impressionism, rural life

I have been an oil painter for most of my career. I love the mediums’ translucency and malleability. However, the linseed oil component of many oil paints and the solvents and traditional oil mediums have become irritants triggering some problems for me. So, I’ve been on a mission to find alternatives. Acylic  paints have most of the qualities I’ve been looking for. I appreciate the nontoxic mediums, the easy water clean up and the opportunities that acrylics provide in terms of layering and quick drying times. There is a “ but” though , painted hard and soft edges and transparency have been difficult characteristics of oil paint to translate to acrylics.
I’ve been experimenting with absorbent and resistant grounds, many acrylic mediums and  quite a few different manufacturers paints. This small painting has the painterly qualities that I enjoy.  For me , It is always the why of a painting that surpasses the how. So, I am learning to appreciate acrylic paints for what they are; exciting, frustrating at times, graphic, and often sensitive.
The subject of this daily painting came in a quiet moment,when I was thinking about Easter and the new grandchild that we will be welcoming this summer. It’s a celebration and a tribute to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment