Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Where the Red Tree Grows

Where the Red Tree Grows  water-media, on 140 pound cold pressed paper

Where The Red Tree Grows  water-media on cold pressed 140 lb paper

I began my art career as a watercolorist. As my work developed I changed course and spent most of my art time working in oil and pastel. However, whenever I need a little freshness “fix” I return to sketching and experimenting in water-media. This small painting is such an experiment. The natural flow of water based paints can produce subtle washes and surprising edges and tones as the paint moves on it’s own and in guided pathways.
“Where the Red Tree Grows” is a place that exists only in my imagination and on this paper. Much like the ephemerals of the forest in springtime, it is a captured moment that would be difficult for me  to repeat.
I think water-media if applied wet -in -wet is a tight rope act. The artist and the medium working together and against each other to fulfill a tenuous idea.
With a bit of hand surgery scheduled for tomorrow I anticipate that my creative efforts may return to watercolors for a while. The ease of application and clean up and the feeling of childlike pleasure it gives me will help me recover.  Life happens. Despite the artificial depictions of life as we see it shared on social media, we all become a bit more vulnerable as we age. Dealing with change (which is constant for everyone)  can be mitigated by pursuing those parts of life that give us joy. Carpe Diem.

1 comment: