Friday, May 10, 2019

After the Night always comes the Dawn

After the Night Always comes the Dawn acrylic on canvas 30x40

Morning Comes as Sure as the Night   Cityscape, abstracted realism, abstraction,

This large acrylic painting is one of the first large paintings I did last year following major surgery to replace both of my knees. I was getting used to many life changes. We had moved to a small condominium in downtown Green Bay and the new “me” was taking some effort to recover.
I turned to acrylic paints and began to experiment. I let the painting process and my own inner vision direct me. Much of the artwork I produced in those months was abstract in nature. Looking back, I see how this painting in particular was about moving on. I  created  a work that was subconsciously about now and then. The theme of the bridges just happened. Unplanned strokes led me to memories of past achievements and to new goals.
It is truly remarkable how these moments at my easel gave me both motivation and perhaps more clarity in viewing my life. I’ve always hoped that my work would appear open to the viewer, with that openness allowing a personal interpretation or story to emerge.
I hope that still happens with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment