Friday, May 17, 2019

Kewaunee Welcome 2

Kewaunee Welcome  20 x 24 oil on canvas


Landscape, architecture, impressionist, larger paintings

For many, many years I made the trek between a home near Sister Bay and West Bend, Wisconsin. The weekly visits were a part of my life because my mom was in a nursing home and I both missed her and worried about her. Some of those rides were very difficult. My chosen route was to avoid the heavy traffic on the interstate highway as much as possible. I took the scenic, slower journey home. I found that the small lakeshore communities gave me a respite from stress and refreshed my spirits.
On my way north , Two Rivers, Kewaunee and Algoma welcomed me home well before I hit Sturgeon Bay. The laundry hanging in front of this old brick home in Kewaunee seemed to wave at me each time I passed by. It never failed to bring me a smile.
 Yesterday, a collector visited my studio in De Pere and immediately recognized the location and character of this subject. Everyone who has made the lakeshore shortcut has a quirky attachment to “the house with the laundry”.  One might even worry a bit if it wasn’t hanging  there.
I hope I’ve conveyed the sense of place that I feel when I drive past this home. It always makes me wonder. It seems,  that is what we all need, a little mystery, a little humor, a little acceptance and yes, wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment