Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Springtime in the Green-house

Springtime  in the Green-house 8 x  8 acrylic on a cradled panel


Figurative, flowers, floral, impressionist

This is my first painting back at the easel after my recent hand surgery. It was a bit of a bumpy start, my husband had to twist open my paint tubes, but pure pleasure to begin again.
This time of year I get incredibly impatient to get out in the garden and to plant. I know, I know it’s too early here in northeast Wisconsin. So instead, we head to garden centers to get a quick floral and veggie “fix” and to plot and weave together the plans for our still imaginary beds.
Seed catalogues, bare rooted selections, the newest, brightest and best new hybrids, native plants ...the selections dance through my head.
This little painting is the result of a trip to a new (to me ) garden center “up North” in Lakewood. Marilyn of Marylin’s was a delightful guide through her many green houses where people were busy transplanting the little sprouts to larger pots while a riot of annuals called out their colors. The tones of this piece suggest the cool greens of the interior green houses, letting the complementary pinks and reds shout out. Color dominance does play a role in designing a subject. To keep the figures from dominating the composition , the vibrant reds were needed to be the fist stop in a visual walk about the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment