Thursday, May 23, 2019

Harmony in Silver and gold

Harmony in Silver and Gold 16 x 20 acrylic on canvas


Landscape, impressionist, waterfall

Last summer we took a trip to Marquette, Michigan and on our way we took a few side trips to explore the many waterfalls that create exciting views along the Wisconsin and Michigan border. Like many of my studio paintings this one began with loose washes of color and value to suggest the movement of the falling water. It is essentially a painting of the atmosphere of a gray day. My goal was to present the feeling of being surrounded by the mist of the falls. The sound of the falling water made such a strong impression on me that I used the memory of those sounds to develop this painting to the accompaniment of bold classical music.
I often turn to poetry, to inspiring writing, to music, to artwork I admire  and to being in nature to work through my own creative efforts. Sometimes I will create a picture of a word, such as waterfall, by seeking memories of  the smell, sight and sounds of a moment that has captured my attention.
A painting process is filled with many, many decisions.  Most of these are facilitated by striving to present an edited point of view. Our art tools are color, value, composition, edges, dominance, rhythm...something, one of these elements often has to rise to the forefront to create a picture of a word.
Painting courtesy of FineLine Designs Gallery oF Ephraim, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment