Friday, April 12, 2019

The Northwoods Dream

The Northwoods Dream, 8 x 8 Acrylic on a cradled archival panel

Landscape,impressionist,color, trees, nature, dream

I originally titled this painting a Northwoods Doodle because that is the mind set I had when it was created. I started and finished the painting at our kitchen counter at the cottage up north.  It is a painting that just “happened” in moments of reflection.
For the first time in our lives we have a home in a forest. I always considered us “Sky people”. The home and studio we built in Door County was on prairie, not a tree to be had when we first started to rehab the land. The wide vista and endless Sky of our land there was a constant in our lives for 12 years. Now, how different it is to escape the city for the forest.
When I look back to my childhood it was the little city park and small woodland near my house that was my place of refuge and magical play. Since childhood, a forest has been a healing place, a place to restore and reenergize.
I don’t think one can own a forest. It owns us. In quiet moments and midst raucous bird calls and in its dark and mysterious places , the forest is a place to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment