Monday, April 8, 2019

Chinatown Rain

Chinatown Rain 6x6 acrylic on a gessoed panel

 Cityscape, rain, figurative, urbanlaife, landscape

It rained for several days that we recently spent at our cottage up north in northern Wisconsin.  Despite having many goals for fixing up our cottage I wanted to continue my practice of daily
( almost daily ) painting.  The moist, gray and quiet days brought the forest around us into soft focus. And as I allowed myself to reflect and rest , memories of an atmospheric day we once spent in a Chinatown  neighborhood came to me.  In my minds eye I found an image of crowded streets almost dissolving into the diffused light of an evening rain.
The shapes in this painting are intended to be as fleeting as the rain. I am more concerned about sharing an impression and a feel for a place than I am about precise city details. I think that each painting has to have it’s own rhythm and voice, to tell a story and to trigger a memory for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment