Monday, April 22, 2019

Safe Harbor

Safe Harbor 8 x 8 Acrylic on a gessoed panel


Seascape, impressionist, ocean, waterfront, light

Whenever I approach my canvas I have to make a decision, what is my subject? Like most things in life a paintings’ subject can have many facets. It’s up to me to choose the elements that take priority. It would be easy to assume that my subject here is the boats resting at anchor for the night. But, my main idea was to portray the fleeting quality of the last light in the sky as the sun set over the water.
The “big idea” of a painting is always the driving force in making the decisions that lead to the final destination of the artwork. I know that the most important question I can ask as I approach a subject is “why?” - what is it that gets me interested?  How I share that idea comes later.
Conveying my emotional response or a mood is one of the challenges I often embrace. I hope you enjoy this peaceful  harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment