Friday, August 30, 2019

Evening at the Farm

Evening At the Farm 6 x9 pastel on watercolor paper


I recently put together a smaller set of soft pastels to use on a short trip to our cottage up north. The weather had been rainy and cool and my color selections reflected the warm shadows and cool lights of  these gray days.  This little pastel painting is a memory piece. A collection of old farm buildings clustered against the sky served as inspiration. The color harmonies are pure invention. Soft grays and warm saturated shadows can help create a moody painting. “Evening at the farm”  is one of those. These are the pastel sticks I used - I’ll be needing some more yellows, reds and cool blues and purples for the sunny days ahead! By using a watercolor under-painting  I can “stretch the colors to fit the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment