Thursday, August 29, 2019

Autumn Rain

Autumn Rain 10 x 10 pastel over watercolor on sanded paper


Pastel, impressionist, rural, nature

My favorite medium has always been soft pastel. It has an expressive quality that suits both my temperament and my interest in honoring a mark on the paper. I use a watercolor underpainting  on an archival sanded paper or board which allows me the freedom to manipulate the pastel in a painterly manner. I recently had carpal tunnel surgery and I am delighted to once again add pastel back to my methods.
This small study was influenced by the rain that has softened my view of the rural landscape that is near our cottage up north. Small homesteads like this one remind me of growing up near pastures and corn fields. It reminds me of the farm my mother grew up on. It reminds me of our time midst the small farms and orchards in Door County too.
Autumn always seems to breath a little easier than summer. It is a time to savor before winter arrives, a time to exhale.


No comments:

Post a Comment