Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Geraniums

Geraniums 8x 8 acrylic on a Raymar panel



This painting began with a desire to capture a feeling of summertime. I wanted to share the joy of planting and of  watching the fruits of that labor grow. The glorious color of these flowers following a long gray and rainy spell inspired me to head outside with my gear. I also felt a sense of urgency and perhaps impatience as I  recovered from hand surgery. Some of that energy found it’s way into this painting.  When I paint outside my goal is to be direct and  uncontrived.  It can be a difficult judgement call. How do I know when to stop adjusting and adding to a painting?  The truth is that often a moment will  come when a painting feels just right. One of my guiding principles ( if I am truly paying attention ) is to listen to my intuitive “voice” the one that says enough, done. Confidence can be shaken by moments like these when the purest form of expression might be judged unfinished. Often my best work is about less, rather than more.

No comments:

Post a Comment