Friday, June 21, 2019

A Window to the Past

A Window to the Past 8 x 8 acrylic on a Raymar panel


Architecture, Building, Impressionist, Historic

We took a trip back in time when we visited an old logging camp in Northeastern Wisconsin. Log buildings and rusting equipment marked by time caught my eye and inspired this painting. I have always been intrigued by windows. This one was especially mysterious and inviting. The roughly hewn logs and random lines presented me with an almost abstract study. The gray tones, warm and cool, in a very close value range made for a challenging composition and color harmony.
One “color” I try to avoid using is black. Right out of the tube it shouts it’s presence and disrupts the true dark tones nature and natural light provides. For that reason I mix my grays and dark tones with deep transparent colors. If I use black it will be just a “ touch” modified by red or green or blue.
Two mixtures that use the color black to an advantage are: white black and cadmium red ( which makes a lovely violet) and white, black and cadmium yellow ( a wonderful forest green  results). The white is just a bit!
Finding and enjoying the beauty of gray tones or  “mouse colors” will give an artist a powerful tool to add a supportive cast of players to lift the brighter tones.

No comments:

Post a Comment