Thursday, February 14, 2019

Tea and Company

Still life, Floral,


Tea and Company 8 x 8 oil on a cradled museum quality panel

It seems appropriate to share this little bouquet on this special day.  When I set up this still life , the flowers suggested warmth and friendship and harmony on a cold winter day. The copper teapot is an old friend in my studio. It has a wonderful patina and a few dings suggesting it’s well used past. This subject offered me ample opportunity to play with color, texture and brushwork. These painting characteristics often direct my decisions,  as I keep in mind my goal to keep these small works fresh. Initially my background was a light value and it seemed to compete with the warmth of the subject. By darkening the background I pushed the subject forward. Backgrounds often cause painters to stumble . When decisions are made early and the painting is worked all over as a unit,  things seem to work out. Tea anyone?  Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment